Are you bored of your old pedal bicycle and want to try your hands at the powerful electric bikes? Buying a new electric bike will cost you a lot, and you also have to let go your old treasured pedal bike. An amazing option for you to get the experience of the modernized powerful electric bike without giving away your old bike is transformation. Yes, you heard it right! You can trnsform your old pedal bike into a newly featured electric bike in just few simple steps.
Electric bike conversion kits fulfill this need. The electric bike conversion kits come with all necessary parts and tools to renovate your old bike into a powerful version. It is fun to ride your pedal bicycle without making a lot of effort on pedaling and still getting the convenience of an electric bike. Transforming the pedal bike into the e-bikes has a lot of benefits.
- Saves a lot of money
- Adds speed to the ordinary bike and enhances the capacity
- Easy to install and use
- It runs on the rechargeable battery and thus requires very little energy from your side.
Other than all the above benefits, you’re also saving nature as it is an eco-friendly transport and does not emit any kinds of harmful substances. It is very energy efficient and also delivers a lot of health benefits.
How does an e-bike conversion kit work?
The conversion kit comes with a special tire that can either be used as the front tire or the rear tire depending upon the type of the conversion kit. The engine is usually placed on the top of the special tire or in some conversion kits it is hidden. The engine runs with the help of a battery that is usually made with lithium. You can control the speed of the bike with the help of the controller present on the handles of the bike. There’s also an LCD display which helps you to view the remaining battery in the bike, the speed at which your bike is running and other important settings.
You have to install the conversion kit in your existing bicycle, and it is so easy that it doesn’t require any expertise, you just have to read the instruction manual and follow the steps. That’s it!
There are also some conversion kits with advanced features such as GPS and other tech features. You have to make sure that the conversion kit doesn’t weigh much as it can make your bike bulky and hefty.
There are a lot of options available in the market for you to choose from. We have listed down the top conversion kits from each of the categories of the electric bike conversion kit to help you choose better.
Front Wheel Electric Bike Conversion Kit –
|AW 26″x1.75″ Front
|Magic Pie V3
|Speed||19-26 mph||28-32 mph||12mph
– LCD display
JAXPETY 36V 500W Electric Bicycle Cycle 26″ E-Bike Front Wheel Ebike Hub Motor Conversion Kit Hub Motor Wheel
The first kit in this list is from Jaxpety that comes with a nylon tire made with alloy rim and stainless-steel spokes measuring 26-inches in size. The 36V 500W super power brushless gearless hub motor is made with rare-earth metal magnets to efficiently produce large power to give you incredible riding experience. The speed of the bike can be increased up to 26 miles per hour but is restricted 750w and 19.88mph by default as a legal road kit. There is no LCD display in this kit, and the twist throttle displays the battery level of the bike. The aluminum alloy dual model controller guarantees the performance of your bike even when the signal source is disabled. This bike kit is not suitable for long distances but is the perfect option for a daily short ride.
AW 26″x1.75″ Front Wheel Electric Bicycle Motor Kit 48V 1000W Powerful Motor E-Bike Conversion w/LCD Display
We have this wonderful front wheel conversion kit from AW which comes with the whole wheel with the tire and not just the tire frame unlike a lot of products. The wheel size is 26-inches x 1.75 inches, perfect for all kinds of bicycles. The kit contains a brushless hub motor to be powered up to 48v 1000w which has to be powered with an electrokinetic cell battery that should not go beyond 17Ah. Its average speed is between 28mph and 32mph which can be controlled with the handlebar-mounted throttle. The LCD display shows battery power, time, speed, mileage, and gears to assist you while driving. A dual controller and a durable 600D Oxford cloth carrying bag along with a zippered main compartment for carrying the controller are also included in the kit. It is one of the best options without a battery for transforming your pedal bike into an e-bike.
24 Inch Magic Pie V3 48V 400w Electric Front Wheel Bicycle Conversion Kit
Magic Pie V3 is an amazing front wheel option from bikeberry.com. It is the best choice for the riders who have 5’5” or shorter height. The kit comes with magic pie III motorized wheels with brushless gearless hub motor which is just 24-inches in size. The motor can have a voltage of 24, 36 or 48 and the internal controller can be tuned up to 12 mph. The minimum working requirements of the bike is 24v for 10 mph and 36v for 12 mph. The internal controller is fully waterproof, and the color-coordinated durable wires can prove their toughness in any weather condition. The regenerative braking system converts the internal energy into kinetic energy to power your motor efficiently.
Rear Wheel Electric Bike Conversion Kits !
|36v 250w brushless
hub motor with a
Seven speed gearing
Controller for extra
-7 Speed Gearing Cassette
-A lithium battery that charges in just 5
-Best choice for
AW 26″x1.75″ Rear Wheel Electric Bicycle LCD Display Motor Kit E-Bike Conversion 48V1000W
The first option under the rear wheel conversion kit is from AW. The size of the wheel that comes along the kit is 26-inches x 1.75-inches that can fit into a lot of bicycls. It comes with a very powerful motor that can be powered up to 1000w and 48v. The pedal assistance system minimizes the load on your feet while pedaling and gives you an amazing e-bike experience. The presence of the LCD display in this kit allows you to see the battery percentage, speed, and other important information. It does not come with an integrated battery, but it is recommended to use an electrokinetic cell battery that should have a nominal voltage of 48v and capacity not more than 17Ah compatible with the 1000w motor.
Voilamart 26″ Rear Wheel Electric Bicycle Conversion Kit
This rear wheel e-bike conversion kit comes with a 26-inches nylon tire with alloy rim and stainless-steel spokes that provide maximum grip and amazing durability. The powerful brushless gearless motor can be powered up to 48v 1000w and allows the bike to go at a maximum speed of 28mph. Although, the speed is restricted to 750W and 24mph by default as a road-legal pedal bike conversion kit, but you can increase it with the help of the electric controller that is included in the kit. The LCD display keeps you updated about all the necessary information such as speed and battery percentage and the brake levers that are included in the kit cut offs the power supply to the motor instantly when needed and thus maintains the safety. The PAS system allows you to enjoy your e-bike experience to the fullest. The whole kit is CE approved, and it requires a 48v electrokinetic cell battery with a nominal capacity not less than 11.6Ah to run the bicycle.
● ModWheel 26 Inch 36v 250w Commuter 7-Speed Rear Wheel Electric Bike Kit + Battery
Another product from bikeberry.com and again it is a wonderful choice for the first-time e-bikers. It features a 7-Speed Rear Electric Bicycle Wheel and an LCD speedometer which shows all important information. This kit is available in two options with and without battery. If you buy this kit with the battery, you’ll get a 36V/11AH lithium battery which requires a recharge time of just 5 hours. The kit also contains an electric controller and a carry bag to keep the controller while riding. It also comes with the perfect combination of throttle, pedelec, and brakes to give the rider absolute control over their e-bike. The throttle helps in using the electric power to give extra speed and saves a lot of time. If you’re feeling tired or not in the mood of pedaling, engage the pedelec setting on the electronic controller and the motor will provide supplemental support to help you in pedaling.
Mid-Drive Kits for Electric Bikes !
with LCD Display
|Compatibility||Compatible with 68mm and
120mm fat bikes.
|Compatible with 68m 0r 100mm
|Motor||48V 1000W Bafang BBS03
|48V 1000W Brushless gear
|Battery||Not included||17.5Ah battery With optional
most of the
● 8fun Bafang BBS03/BBSHD Latest Model 48V 1000W Ebike Electric Bicycle Motor Mid Drive Electric Bike Conversion Kit-
The • 8fun Bafang BBS03/BBSHD is the perfect package for an exploratory person for all his/her adventurous rides. This kit has a powerful 48V 1000W Bafang BBS03 BBSHD motor that has to be powered with a 48v battery to produce an ideal power. Using a battery higher than 48v can shorten the life of the motor. This mid-drive conversion kit provides you with a dual mode riding experience by switching from pedal bike to e-bike and e-bike to pedal bike in just a few seconds. It is the perfect choice for cycling enthusiasts who want instant speed and efficiency in their bike while riding. It has all the necessary tools and equipment to support your e-bike riding experience and an LCD controller display to give rider control over the speed, battery, gears, and other important settings.
BAFANG BBSHD 1000W 48V Ebike Motor with LCD Display Mid Drive Electric Bike Conversion Kits with Battery 48V 17.5Ah
This conversion kit is one of the top favorites of riders who love challenges as well as transport bikes E-bike. The best part of this mid drive conversion kit is that it is compatible with most of the bikes such as fat bike, mountain bike, road bike, etc. and it is specifically designed to fit bottom bracket of standard sizes 68mm-120mm. The motor has an amazing capacity of 1000w and is designed to be powered with a 17.5Ah battery which is included in the kit itself. Other than the motor and battery, the kit also holds an LCD display to inform you about the battery percentage, speed and other technicalities, brake lever for extra grip, motor crank, speed sensor and magnets, and a strong and durable 1T4 wire. This kit can turn your bike in a comfortable e-bike that is perfect for long distance travel and exercising.
Buying Guide: How to choose & What to look before Buying Electric Bike Conversion Kits?
Now that you’ve got a list of best kits from each of the different categories of electric bicycle conversions, another important question that arises here is ‘Which one of the above is the best choice for you?’ Deciding and selecting one from the above list might seem a difficult task, but we will make it a lot easier for you! Look closely at the unique features of each of the conversion kits and then decide what you prefer according to what fulfills your needs in the best way
Make a list of what all important features you want in your electric bike and then see which one conversion kit has all or at least most of the features from your list. If you take a look randomly at every conversion kit, all of them will seem perfect to you. But there’s a lot to consider when you’re buying a conversion kit to make your dream electric bike. You have to be fully aware of the advantages and disadvantages of getting a conversion kit instead of an electric bike. So, let’s see what all important things are associated with buying an electric bike conversion kit!
Advantages of getting a conversion kit !
- First of all, getting an electric bike conversion kit is way cheaper than getting a whole new electric bike. It is a great substitute when you want an amazing electric bike you don’t want to spend a lot of money.
- The second benefit of the conversion kit is that you can keep your old bicycle with you. Most of us are emotionally attached to our pedal bicycles and don’t want to lose it at any cost. With a conversion kit, you can easily make changes in your existing bike and give it a modern transformation and use it as an electric bike.
- Dealing with conversion kits don’t require rocket science. Conversion kits are very simple and come with a manual with clear instructions, which makes it a snap to install. It again saves a lot of money as you don’t have to call another person or an expert to put the conversion kit together.
- Conversion kits come with different features and tools which allows you to put all the pieces as you want. It is like designing your own e-bicycle. So, if you love a lot of adventure, then you can use more advanced parts and unique tools for your bike to make it an adventurous package.
- Again, if you’re not satisfied with a simply converted e-bike, you can use a more powerful battery instead of getting a whole new conversion kit. As all parts are individually attached, you can easily bring out any one of them to replace it with more impressive versions to convert it in a more powerful bike.
- Removing and re-installing the conversion kit is also a very laid-back task. At any point of time, if you feel like getting a new bicycle and converting it into an electric bike, just remove all the parts and re-install the kit in the new bicycle as you did in the old one.
- The last and most important advantage is that all the conversion kits come with at least one year of manufacturers warranty that assures you the quality and durability of the product you’re buying.
Disadvantages of getting a conversion kit
- The first disadvantage of getting a conversion kit instead of a new electric bike is concerned with the experience. Although the new features in your transformed bike will give you a whole lot of satisfaction but still you will not entirely feel like you’re riding an electric bike.
- You have to keep patience and time while installing the conversion kit, or you’ll end up messing with all the parts or even damaging the conversion kit.
- After installing the conversion kit in your existing bike, it will become heavier and a little bit complex to use. You have to give it a little practice time to adapt to its new features and heaviness and then using it regularly.
- The heaviness of the bike will also make it difficult to carry it upstairs or put it inside a vehicle while traveling.
- A lot of people also make mistakes while buying the front hub conversion kit. You have to consider the normal size of the tires in the existing bicycle and buy the conversion kit according to that. The size of the back tire should match the newly installed front tire.
- Due to the heaviness of the bike, the tires may deflate more often, and you’ve to keep checking and servicing the condition of the tire to make it long lasting.
- The most expensive conversion kit is not always the best one. They have different features, and you should always buy while considering the feature and not the price.
What should you expect from an electric bike conversion kit?
Do not expect some extraordinary benefits of Electric bike when you’re just installing a conversion kit to your ordinary bike. Installation of an electric bike conversion kit will surely transform your ordinary bike into a motorized bike but keep in mind that is it just an inexpensive substitute to an original expensive electric bike.
Take a close look at the advantages and disadvantages of the conversion kit and then decide. There are a lot of different types of conversion kits to choose from according to the use and need. Let’s take a look at the different types of electric bike transformations.
Electric bike wheels
The simplest one of all, you just have to change the front wheel of your regular bike with a more powerful wheel, and your electric bike is ready to roll! Addition of the powerful front wheel with a motor, battery, and gears gives you all the power in hand and eliminates the requirement of pedaling to a great extent. It also enables you to cycle up to 20-25mph.
The friction drive conversion kit is just a kind of box fitted next to your wheels. All they do is push the wheel along with the help of electrically assisted power or let’s say friction. There is also an option available to place the kit beneath the bike and press a power roller against the rear wheel which allows us to control it with the control unit on your handlebar or through a smartphone app. They are not specifically beneficial in the wet weather as the tires become slippery and there is no friction produced to run the bike.
If you want a transformed electric bike without a ‘show,’ you should try the concealed e-bike conversion kit. These conversion kits can be easily hidden inside the frame of your bike to remove the sight of the motor and other bulky parts of the conversion kit. The motor is usually placed, or we say hidden in the bike’s seat tube, and the battery can be a stick in the bottle cage.
These kits are required only when you’ve got the desired motor in advance. It comes with all the necessary tools and parts that are needed to make your transformed electric bike more stable and to weight it down.
Yes, there are also a variety of options for electric bike conversion kits for your folding bike. These conversion kits usually come with a powered hub to be attached at the front of the bike, and a battery smartly hidden in a bag mounted on the front which makes it easily operational and delivers almost the same benefits of an e-bike.
Which battery is the best of all?
The battery is the most important part of an electric bike, and not all conversion kits come with a battery. You might think at that point that the absence of a battery in the conversion kit is a drawback, but that’s not the case. It is a major advantage as now you can choose the battery by yourself independent of the conversion kit and get it installed in your ordinary bike.
If you’re getting the desired battery in the conversion kit itself, then it’s well and good, but if it’s missing from the conversion kit, it is your golden chance to get something more powerful and better! There are some important things that you should keep in mind while buying an independent battery for your transformed electric bike.
- The battery in bag pack or mounted to frame- Which is more preferable for you and your bike type? You have to choose between the frame mounted batteries, and the frame bag mounted batteries. Frame mounted batteries can be mounted on the front of the cycle where the water bottle is placed whereas the bag pack batteries are placed in the back of the cycle or you can even detach them and carry it with you in a bag pack on your shoulders.
- The second thing that matters is the voltage of the battery. Higher the voltage of the battery, the higher the performance! But, the voltage of the battery should always be according to the use of the bike. If you usually use your bicycle for short distances, then a battery of 24v is enough for you. You’ll require a battery between 36v to 48v if you go for long distances and adventures full of uneven terrains and structures. Buying a battery of more than 48v will cost you a lot and is just a waste of money until you use it at its maximum power.
- The capacity of the battery determines how far it can go in one charge. If you think the higher the capacity, the higher the distance you’re right! But a battery with more capacity will be heavier compared to a less powered. The current capacity of the battery you’ll get in the market is between 10Ah and 20Ah.
All these things are necessary for a battery, and you have to choose while buying. Be very clear on the purpose of using the electric bicycle and then decide what is more beneficial for you in the battery.
To sum up everything, the electric bike conversion kit is a remarkable option to give your adored pedal bike a modern touch and lots of power. It is very economical, simple to put together, and very effective. There are different types of conversion kits to choose from that totally depends on your requirement — the main parts of the conversion kit are the motor, battery, and the gears. If you’re really willing to transform your pedal bike to an electric bike, read all the above information and choose the most desired product according to your need!
If you have any more queries regarding the e-bike conversion kits, drop a comment below in the comment box, and we’ll get back to you!